Technical Lead, Trucking - Behavior and Planner
Mountain View, California, United States
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
As Waymo is becoming a multi-product company, Trucking is our second largest opportunity and will see massive growth in 2020/2021. We believe that commercial trucking, the backbone of our economy, stands to reap untold benefits by deploying autonomous trucks, particularly during long-haul stretches. Roads will be safer. Goods will be cheaper. Truckers will be called upon to use their skills in new ways while the truck itself becomes a trusted navigation partner.
In this role, you'll be working with a small but rapidly growing team, benefitting from shared technology of the greater Waymo and Alphabet organizations. Our team is made up of robotics specialists from some of the leading technology companies of our time - with deep expertise in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and real-world deployment of advanced technology.
We are looking for a strong Technical Lead who is curious and passionate about Level 4 autonomous trucking.
In this leadership role, you'll:
- Lead a team of software engineers that build motion planning and decision-making systems for the self-driving vehicles, ensuring that the behavior of our vehicles is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users
- Design and lead efforts to improve how our vehicles act and react in complex and nuanced situations
- Attract, grow, and retain a diversity of talent, providing technical direction and career growth opportunities
- Inspire and motivate the team to work together as a cohesive and productive unit
- Guide all technical aspects of development, including technical requirements definition, design, implementation, unit testing, and integration
- Work closely with engineering partners and stakeholders to drive organizational alignment
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Must have a BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Robotics or similar technical field of study
- Experience leading engineering projects across multiple teams
- Experience building and architecting large-scale, production quality systems
- Strong written and verbal communications
- Experience in Python and/or C++
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience in the Self Driving Car industry or Robotics
- Strong technical leadership, including experience leading complex infra projects
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.