Mountain View, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first fully autonomous driving technology, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From autonomous driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this role you’ll:
- Lead research programs that help shape the development of internal tools which are used across the organization to enable our critical path
- Run studies end-to-end with dedicated teams of designers, product managers, and engineers who are avid consumers of research insights
- Contribute to foundational product strategy, roadmaps, and priorities by looking across simulation, evaluation, perception work processes and tools
- Expand impact and expertise by consulting and coaching stakeholders on research best practices, methodologies, and analysis approach
- Translate fascinating and complex problems into well scoped and executable research projects that can drive timely product impact
- Articulate key insights through clear and comprehensive written reports, compelling visuals, frameworks, decks, and documentary style video clips
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Track record of running large-scale research projects that look at technical products or teams (engineering, science, systems, medicine)
- 2+ years industry experience conducting user research (quantitative, qualitative, or mixed methods) leveraging methodologies to suit the question (e.g., lab studies, field visits, ethnography, surveys, benchmark studies, server logs, job shadowing, experiments)
- BA/BS degree in Anthropology, Sociology, Human Geography, Human Robot Interaction, Human Computer Interaction, or other related UX research fields or equivalent practical experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Demonstrated experience studying internal tooling, enterprise products, work practices, development workflows of software engineering teams
- Portfolio of research project work articulating novel insight that inspired design and engineering teams to make new product considerations
- Experience supporting a large organization, complex portfolio of products, and network of stakeholders on a small team or a team of one
- M.A/M.S./Ph.D. (in progress or completed) in social science field
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.