Mountain View, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first fully autonomous driving technology, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From autonomous driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this role, you’ll:
- Co-create a broad and high-level developer productivity strategy with a team of dedicated product managers, technical product managers, and UX partners to inform key investments and metrics
- Contribute profound and timely insights to developer productivity programs – whether advising colleagues or running your own end-to-end studies to deliver design requirements on developer workflows, tooling, and systems
- Understand and translate complex technical and business needs into innovative research approaches & deliverables that inform and inspire action in a highly technical organization
- Champion broad organizational understanding of developer needs through brilliant advocacy, eager collaboration, and captivating storytelling
- Develop crisp and compelling presentations and written reports that clearly articulate key insights, strategic relevance, and product impact
- Lay groundwork for hiring and developing dedicated UX research team to broaden research support of developer tooling, infrastructure, and velocity
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Demonstrated experience studying work practices, development workflows, internal tooling, or internal processes of software engineering teams
- Proven ability to manage large-scale projects across a diverse set of stakeholders, launch, and scale productivity metrics
- 5+ years industry experience conducting user research (quantitative, qualitative, or mixed methods) leveraging methodologies to suit the question (e.g., lab studies, field visits, ethnography, surveys, benchmark studies, server logs, job shadowing, experiments)
- BA/BS degree in Anthropology, Sociology, Human Geography, Human Robot Interaction, Human Computer Interaction, or other related UX research fields or equivalent practical experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- Portfolio of research project work demonstrating product impact to engineering process and tooling
- Demonstrated experience applying data-driven insights and/or machine learned models to engineering metrics
- Experience building a team from the ground up, advocating for new roles, and expanding role and responsibilities
- M.A/M.S./Ph.D. (in progress or completed) in social science field
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.