Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's autonomous driving technology, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Plan, coordinate, and execute the hardware reliability programs for all autonomous driving hardware revisions on all OEM platforms: across all hardware generations
- Mentor and manage a team of hardware reliability engineers
- Plan for and hire necessary headcount, purchase capital equipment, and contract with external test resources to meet present and future reliability testing needs
- Track and report on reliability program progress, and develop recovery plans to keep the program on-track
- Track and prioritize all reliability issues, and highlight critical risks to senior management
- Facilitate cross-functional reliability reviews with design, manufacturing, and failure analysis teams to identify root cause and corrective action plans
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science degree in an Engineering or Physics discipline with at least 10 years in product development and at least 5 years of experience in a reliability leadership role
- Fundamental knowledge of the physics of failure of autonomous sensors, and accelerated test methodologies for mechanical components, materials, electronic components, SoC’s, PCBA’s, optical sub-assemblies, and electro-mechanical modules
- Fundamental knowledge of applied reliability engineering principles including FMEA, Weibull analysis, reliability budgeting, and reliability test planning
- Ability to direct multiple reliability projects concurrently and optimize the program outcome based on time and budget constraints
- Ability to manage both domestic and overseas reliability test laboratories, and determine personnel, capital equipment, and budgetary needs
It's preferred if you have:
- Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
- 10+ years experience in a Reliability Management role, where you managed 5 or more direct reports
- Mechatronics design experience
- Automotive reliability experience
- Vehicle durability experience
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a disability, medical condition or religious belief, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.