Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The mission of the Waymo Research team is to develop machine learning solutions addressing open problems in autonomous driving, towards the goal of the safely operating Waymo vehicles in dozens of cities and under all driving conditions. As part of our work, we also initiate and foster collaborations with other research teams in Alphabet. Research areas that we are currently focusing on include perception, behavior prediction and reinforcement learning.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Conduct cutting edge research and develop machine learning algorithms to solve challenging real-world problems in the areas of perception and sensor simulation
- Experiment and evaluate the algorithms on large-scale datasets
- Get a chance to deploy your algorithms and models onto a fleet of autonomous vehicles
- Get an opportunity to publish findings in academic conferences and journals
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study Experience in at least one of: computer vision, machine learning, or robotics
- Strong coding experience in Python and/or C++
- Hands-on experience with deep neural networks and familiarity with at least one type of machine learning frameworks such as TensorFlow
It’s preferred if you have:
- Enrolled in a PhD program
- Strong publication record with first-authored paper(s) in top-tier conferences/journals in the field of machine learning, computer vision or robotics
- Large-scale data processing and analytical skills
- Experience in working with Lidar data
- Experience in 3D computer vision and 3D deep learning
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus (if applicable)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
Note: This is a summer internship position in our Mountain View office. We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, you will need to apply to each one individually - please apply to the top 3 roles you are interested in.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.