Research Intern, Simulation Agents
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The mission of the Waymo Research (UK) team is to develop machine learning solutions addressing open problems in autonomous driving, towards the goal of safely operating Waymo vehicles in dozens of cities and under all driving conditions. As part of our work, we also initiate and foster collaborations with other research teams in Alphabet. Research areas that we are currently focusing on include reinforcement learning, learning from demonstration, hierarchical learning, and robust evaluation.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this role, you’ll:
- Work with a creative team of people who are responsible for ensuring that the behavior of our cars is safe, smooth, and predictable to other road users, which includes gracefully handling many complex situations involving social aspects (merging, negotiating narrow roads, etc), while dealing with noisy, uncertain, and incomplete information
- Frame the open-ended real-world problems into well-defined ML problems; develop and apply cutting-edge ML approaches (deep learning, reinforcement learning, imitation learning, etc) to these problems; scale them to Google-sized data pipelines; and streamline them to run in real-time on the cars
- Collaborate with other teams, including the ML infrastructure, simulation and systems engineering teams, as well as various research teams such as Waymo research, Google Brain, DeepMind and academia
- Get an opportunity to publish findings in academic conferences and journals
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study
- Experience solving problems using Machine Learning with Tensorflow or equivalent tools
- Ability to collaborate within and across teams
- Strong experience programming in C++ and/or Python with robust and efficient code
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience specifically with applying Machine Learning to solve motion planning or related robotics problems
- Experience with Reinforcement Learning and/or Learning from Demonstration
- Experience with Deep Learning Models (e.g. RNN/LSTM, CNN, VAE, GAN, etc.)
Note: This is a summer internship position within the UK. We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled.
Opening date: 10 September 2021
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.