Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's autonomous driving technology, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- End to End ownership of execution on key HW engineering and business initiatives. Working with leaders across the company as needed to ensure efficient execution of large, complex engineering projects by balancing HW, SW, Ops and products goals.
- Employs checks and balances among key stakeholders to ensure that decisions have the benefit of multiple points of view and are not made in isolation and in-line with Waymo’s business objectives.
- Developing Waymo HW team’s technical strategy alongside the HW leadership
- Serving as a technical representative and liaison to various teams Systems Engineering, Hardware, Software, Safety and Product
- Providing technical analysis, insights on relevant and emerging technologies
- Mentor and grow engineers and architects
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- A track record of technical and product achievement
- A background in hardware (electrical/mechanical/systems) or software engineering (robotics) discipline and intuition for complex algorithms and system architectures
- Comfort with ambiguous problem definitions and complex, open-ended challenges
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills and ability to lead across organizational boundaries.
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and domains and collaboration with diverse technical teams
- Experience shipping complex systems with technical, organizational, and schedule complexities
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience leading and influencing teams, especially in very technical areas
- Strong data-driven mindset and comfort with defining and measuring clear metrics for team goals
- Strong Product and business intuition
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a disability, medical condition or religious belief, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.