Chandler, Arizona, United States
Mountain View, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Operations team keeps the business rolling to deliver the Waymo Driver to the world. We enable our fully autonomous ride-hailing service to run safely and reliably, support testing efforts of our trucking and local delivery efforts, and bring our expertise to guide business decisions. We are the heart of Waymo -- and we execute with purpose and urgency to achieve our goals.
The Product Operations Technology team is responsible for ensuring that Waymo Operations has the tools and technology infrastructure to be successful. Product Operations interfaces closely with Product and Engineering teams to set and execute the vision and roadmap for software required to support Waymo’s Operations team. This includes building the technical infrastructure to support vehicle operations, customer support, and driving operations.
As a Manager of the Product Operations Technology team, you will partner with Operations Leadership, Product Managers, and Engineering Managers to envision, build and execute on a world-class technology platform to enable Waymo to operate safely, efficiently, and at scale in three exciting industries: ridesharing, trucking, and delivery. This is a critical, senior-level position in which you will be expected to re-imagine how traditional industries have operated and how they can be improved through the lens of Waymo’s leading autonomous driving technology.
In this role, you will:
- Drive process improvement and automation strategies to ensure the efficient delivery of manual and autonomous testing mileage to continuously improve the Waymo Driver.
- Work with Product Managers, Engineers and Operations teams to envision, prioritize, and execute the long-term strategy and near-term roadmap for operations technology platforms that enable businesses built on Waymo autonomous driving technology.
- Write high-quality strategy and business requirements documents to convey operational needs to product & engineering teams.
- Assess build vs. buy decisions for operational software needs and own the recommendation (e.g. should we use 3rd party fleet management software or build something custom?).
- Lead cross-functional stakeholder groups (operations, product, eng, TPM, legal, security, etc.) on go-to-market plans for new product and feature launches.
- Continually refine and improve the technology that supports Waymo Operations through internal and external customer feedback and an agile build-test-learn-iterate framework.
- Regularly present your work to Waymo leadership and various stakeholder groups through tools and system update cadence
- Effectively and objectively prioritize various competing needs and tooling asks
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- 5-10 years experience in Product Operations Management, Product Management, Technical Program Management, or Strategy and Operations at a relevant technology company.
- Understanding and experience driving software development life-cycle (requirements, design, development, test, release, and post-launch analysis) and ability to contribute to architecture and system design discussions.
- Highly analytical: Comfortable pulling data and modeling business problems in Excel and leveraging data to derive actionable insights to manage a business area.
- Ability to manage time and priorities effectively in a fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous startup environment.
- Solid experience planning for and managing several large-scale, complex technical projects and coordinating cross functional project members to deliver quality results on time.
- Excellent relationship building, collaboration, consultation and influencing skills.
- A team player with a positive attitude; excellent written and oral business communication and people skills.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Degree(s) in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- MBA from a top-ranked program or equivalent business experience.
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a disability, medical condition or religious belief, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.