Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and help to continuously improve the safety of Waymo’s fully autonomous driving technology. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout the design and development of our vehicles. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps advise on compliance with applicable environmental, health, and safety regulations.
In this role you'll:
- Collaborate with a broad range of internal stakeholders including Engineering, Operations, Legal, Workplace, Safety, and EHS to design, implement, and manage comprehensive industrial hygiene (IH) and laser safety programs
- Evaluate lidar research and development activities in partnership with Engineering teams to develop necessary laser safety-related controls including work practices, barriers, interlocks, training, and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Evaluate autonomous vehicle research and development activities and fleet operations to develop necessary IH-related controls including engineering controls, work practices, and PPE
- Maintain IH-related records including sampling results, exposure limits, and employee communications
- Support comprehensive Covid-19 mitigation activities as part of a cross functional team with People Operations, Security, Legal, Workplace, Safety, and EHS
- Specify necessary resources to obtain desired results including equipment (fixed monitors, portable monitors, etc.), internal shared support, and external consultant support
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- BA/BS degree or equivalent practical experience
- Laser Safety Officer (LSO) Training
- Experience working with IEC 60825-1 (Safety of laser products) and ANSI Z136.1 (Safe Use of Lasers)
- Ability to engage and influence internal stakeholders to drive continual improvement, without direct line-management authority
- Experience utilizing IH data-related capabilities within an EHS software platform
It's preferred if you have:
- Bachelor's degree in Safety, Environmental Science, Engineering or related fields
- Certified Laser Safety Officer (CLSO) from the Board of Laser Safety
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) from the American Board of Industrial Hygiene
- Experience working with IEC 60825-1 (Safety of laser products), ANSI Z136.1 (Safe Use of Lasers), and ANSI Z136.4 (Recommended Practice for Laser Safety Measurements for Classification and Hazard Evaluation)
- Experience implementing and managing IH data-related capabilities within an EHS software platform
US-Remote includes employees working from their primary residence in certain locations only, such as Arizona, California, DC, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Washington. This list may not be complete or accurate, and candidates should speak with their recruiter about their specific location for remote work.
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a disability, medical condition or religious belief, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.