Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first fully autonomous driving technology, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From autonomous driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this role, you'll:
- Work closely with design and engineering departments within Waymo, to develop innovative products, vehicles, and hardware, which integrate engineering excellence into creative designs. Identify and propose solutions to technically challenging areas on new product development by bringing Design and Engineering together.
- Interface between design and engineering teams to help manage and resolve conflicts between design requirements and technical feasibility, ensure the design themes are updated with the latest technical input from engineering and manufacturing. Represent design plural and interests when communicating with engineering teams and suppliers.
- Lead theme packaging development and theme feasibility from design concepts to final class-A surfaces; guide design and CAD team to provide the best solution possible for Waymo’s products
- Manage information in the Enovia PLM, Catia V6 environment. Responsible for data management including: design concepts, simulation analysis, prototyping builds and production. Support the development and construction of 3D models with respect to dimensional and technical constraints and model build.
- Support design activities and ensure correct technical and geometrical status to physical models, mock-ups and ergonomic bucks. Actively participate in all studio activities related to the project.
- Stay up to date on the latest engineering trends, system, tools and tooling development processes; Introduce new technical solutions, provide technical specifications for designers
We'd like you to have:
- Degree in Engineering, minimum 10 years of experience of product, transportation design or similar field
- Strong technical background and understanding of the design and engineering process; proven history of successful design and product development from concept to production
- Extensive industry experience and knowledge through all phases of product development cycle; manufacturing processes, engineering and developing complex Class A parts and assemblies, material science and structure, deep understanding of different tooling methods
- Have a good balance of design and engineering; creative thinking, problem solving skills, eyes for strong aesthetics and perceived quality, craftsmanship sensibilities, and understand the technical solutions and limitations
- A wide knowledge and high level of comfort in CAD and PLM packages. Proficient in Catia, Excellent 2D drawing and 3D CAD skills
- Excellent team working capabilities and communication/ presentation skills
It's preferred if you have:
- Fluent in more than one CAD package such as Catia, Solidworks, Pro-e, and NX
- Previous design engineer/ studio engineering experience in OEM design studio or complete vehicle packaging experience
- Additional industry activities such as consumer products, or architecture
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a disability, medical condition or religious belief, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.