Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
As part of Waymo's Legal team, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous driving technology and help drive our business lines forward from technology ideation through scaled commercial deployment. We partner with our public policy, safety, security and privacy experts to define transportation policy for the autonomous driving world to come, advising on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We collaborate with our engineering, product, strategy and operations teams to develop and protect our intellectual property portfolio and drive our corporate and commercial transactions. We ensure compliance with an increasingly complex and dynamic range of global regulations. And we anticipate, mitigate, and litigate high-profile and precedent-setting legal matters.
In this role, you’ll:
- Support existing regulatory compliance needs with a focus on the regulatory lifecycle of autonomous vehicles, test driver requirements, and corporate-level compliance obligations. This includes process improvement, data gathering, and preparing and submitting numerous government applications or reports
- Partner with the Operations and Safety teams to continue to build and implement an internal compliance self-assessment program
- Identify opportunities for improving compliance or procedures with new automation or tooling, and engage with Product and Engineering stakeholders to scope, prioritize, and project manage requests through to completion
- Work cross-functionally and with other Regulatory Compliance teammates to build an internal culture of compliance
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 4+ years of regulatory compliance experience with a focus on transportation
- 4+ years of experience conducting audit and/or oversight programs
- Strong written, virtual, and in-person communication skills, including the ability to use data to persuade and drive initiatives for improved compliance
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage milestones and cross-functional stakeholders from concept to post-launch maintenance
- Strong critical thinking skills with a thoughtful and diligent approach to identifying problems, and solution development, advocacy, and implementation
- A passion for effective compliance programs and an expert understanding of auditing and compliance best practices
It’s preferred if you have:
- Compliance and assurance experience working with vehicle fleets and/or sizeable driver forces at a commercial passenger carrier, commercial trucking company, airline, or similar (will consider Sarbannes-Oxley (SOX) financial / corporate audit experience)
- Staffing vendor performance management
- Enthusiasm for mobility technologies and transportation safety
- Exceptional regulatory compliance and/or safety-related program maintenance experience
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a disability, medical condition or religious belief, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.