Head of Software Recruiting
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Waymo’s People team recruits and supports the world’s best talent (including, we hope, you). Our HR business partners, program administrators, staffers, and compensation specialists help our employees attain their full potential in a healthy, considerate and supportive environment. We take our role as champions of Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (EID) and stewards of the unique Waymo culture seriously.
In this role you'll:
- Build relationships with stakeholders at all levels across Software by keenly understanding their priorities and partnering with their team and those across the People function to enable the successful delivery of talent needs.
- Partner closely with business leaders, HR business partners, and Finance to understand Software growth targets, organizational landscape and talent market. This includes co-design and development of the workforce plan including hiring targets and resourcing requirements & strategies to meet expected growth.
- Grow and develop a team of high performing technical recruiters and managers with focus on skill development and coaching.
- Foster and promote an environment with high psychological safety and keen focus on collaboration and team-centered behaviors.
- Guide mentorship and career development at all levels to create an environment where folks seek to expand their capabilities and lean on data to focus, prioritize and problem solve.
- Data quality and continuous improvement mindset to center the work, partnering with our talent acquisition leadership team, analytics and recruiting ops to hone repeatable and reliable processes. Set the tone with the team to bring this ethos to life, with focus on efficiency, effectiveness and equity across our ways of working with diversity and inclusion at the center.
- Use our staffing metrics as part of the day-to-day way of working to guide the priorities and focus areas in discussions with stakeholders and leadership.
- Be attuned to the external talent landscape to understand current trends in the autonomous vehicle space and technology; use this knowledge to be responsive and build creative approaches and solutions to our recruiting activities.
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- 12+ years of talent acquisition experience with 7+ years leading and managing a team of recruiting professionals
- 5+ years recruiting experience within a high-growth tech industry environment (with an emphasis on partnering with technical leadership to identify and support their workforce planning needs)
- Demonstrated success in hiring, leading, coaching and managing teams of high-performing individuals
- Demonstrated experience and fluency in recruiting metrics and/or analytics to determine and actively manage resourcing levels and requisition prioritization including throughput and volume
- Demonstrated experience deploying data-driven recruitment strategies to attract and source diverse talent pools
- Project management experience to guide the day-to-day recruiting efforts and/or initiatives across the team
- Knowledge and application of domestic employment laws and practices
It’s preferred if you have:
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with ability to take initiative and build positive, productive relationships to galvanize the organization to holistically solve problems and seize opportunities
Adept at influencing through collaborative relationships, expertise and data to manage a broad range of cross-functional stakeholders
Bring expertise to bear to coach stakeholders on best approaches and practices including for example influencing leaders in how they approach their searches, considering candidates often times without traditional backgrounds with transferable skills
Proven track record of inspirational people leadership, fostering an environment with high psychological safety; demonstrated experience in coaching a team for continuous learning and skill development
Comfortable rolling up your sleeves to get things done in tandem with participating in data analytics discussions with the technical leads to assess focus areas and approaches to problem solving
Pulse on the external competitive landscape; continuing to understand the trends and be responsive to bring knowledge to our business and ways of working
Ability to work across technology industries (i.e. hardware, software, machine learning, robotics, etc.)
US-Remote includes employees working from their primary residence in certain locations only, such as Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin. This list may not be complete or accurate, and candidates should speak with their recruiter about their specific location for remote work.
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.