Product Manager, Perception
Mountain View, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first fully autonomous driving technology, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From autonomous driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this role you'll:
- Own a critical portion of Waymo’s Perception Product portfolio, working across numerous engineering and product teams to improve our driving safety and quality
- Specifically, this role would work directly on our defensive driving capabilities, ensuring that the Waymo Driver improves its reasoning about what it cannot directly see
- Develop critical ML products, utilize our proprietary 3D maps and real time sensor data to make better driving decisions
- Work on cutting edge and long-tail scenarios, and bring together different technologies to address particularly challenging, real-life driving situations.
- Develop logic to constantly improve and refresh our prior understanding of the world, helping other autonomous vehicles in our fleet drive better
- Analyze tradeoffs between performance and compute
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A BA/BS degree in Computer Science, technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Good at problem stating and problem solving and turning ambiguous problem spaces into radical solutions
- Ability to gather and analyze large quantities of information, and turn them into a thoughtful and compelling product vision, including economics/business plan
- Flourish in ambiguity, setting own goals and effectively delivering to them in a very fast-changing environment
It’s preferred if you have:
- Master's degree in a technical or engineering field or MBA or equivalent practical experience
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)