Project Manager, Process Excellence
Mountain View, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo Operations exists to deliver the Waymo Driver to the world. We are a global team building and scaling the world's first and leading autonomous fleet and operations platform. From component sourcing to end customer management, we enable and create value for Waymo through scaled and orchestrated deployment of the Waymo Driver. At Waymo, we are dedicated to building a culture that promotes inclusivity and celebration. We value diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences; recognize that inclusive actions lead to equitable outcomes; and support and encourage Ops members to share their ideas to help Waymo better serve the communities in which we operate.
As a Process Excellence Project Manager, you will partner with Operations Leadership, Product Managers, and Engineering Managers to deliver Process Excellence on high impact and visible strategic projects through continuous improvement and process engineering to enable a delightful experience for riders and customers in Autonomous transportation modalities and to help Waymo operate safely, efficiently, and at scale in three exciting industries: ride hailing, trucking, and delivery. This is a critical position in which you will be empowered to drive Waymo’s success in big cities by supporting its ability to establish and scale its operating footprint efficiently and effectively.
In this role, you'll:
- Drive process improvement initiatives to streamline human dependent processes, reduce variability, decrease cost and decrease lead time
- Mentor, coach, and teach front line staff and on lean efficiency principles
- Partner with Operations teams and Product Managers to identify bottlenecks, conduct gap assessments, and map the current state
- Facilitate cross functional problem solving to design counter measures and corrective actions
- Develop and led project implementation plans and manage the change management to ensure adoption of the desired future state
- Be a key strategic thought partner for cross functional leaders across the organization
- Develop timelines to identify and plan for mitigations that address potential challenges that could block progress
- Develop high impact documents and presentations to facilitate communication and lead decision making
- Regularly present your work to Waymo leadership and various stakeholder groups
At a minimum, we'd like you to have:
- 5+ years of experience facilitating Lean Six Sigma project to transactional / service based processes
- Certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt from an accredited institution (strongly preferred)
- Excellent and superior problem solving skills: ability to break down ambiguous and complex problems into manageable segments, tease out dependencies, risks and mitigations with creative solutions; and get the stakeholders aligned with the strategy
- Ability to manage time and priorities effectively in a fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous startup environment
- Solid experience planning for and managing several large-scale, complex projects and coordinating cross functional project members to deliver quality results on time
- Excellent relationship building, collaboration, consultation and influencing skills
- Excellent written and oral business communication and people skills.
- Bachelor's Degree(s) in Engineering, Business or related technical field
It's preferred if you have:
- Certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt from an accredited institution
- Experience with Toyota Product System
- Taught and coached Six Sigma Green Belts
- Masters Degree(s) in Engineering, Business or related technical field
- Experience leading Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) initiatives
- Highly analytical: Comfortable pulling data, analyzing underlying root cause and creating SPC control charts in Excel, Tableau, or Data Studio
- Proficient in the use of Google Suite and SQL
- Project Management Certification
- Prosci Change Management Certification or similar
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)