Head of Physical Security
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Our cars may be self-driving, but Waymo’s security program is steered by experts like you. Safety is our foundation and is at the heart of everything we do. As Head of Physical Security you will drive the strategy, development and deployment of a comprehensive physical security program for Waymo globally, including both planning and leading across a wide range of physical security optimization projects in an extremely fast paced environment with a high degree of ambiguity. At every turn, process excellence, collaboration, and detailed cross-org communications are critical. You will manage this program and implement strategic improvements while assuring alignment and compliance with security policies and requirements.
In this Head of Physical Security role, you'll:
- Build our physical security program to meet scaling business needs and establish our strategy for how we deploy physical security standards across our fleet operations and our complex real estate portfolio; provide insight and drive strategy on mitigating security risks and vulnerabilities, leading remediation efforts and prototype development that result in quantifiable decreased risks and events
- Lead, manage and develop a high-impact team while also being responsible for establishing and leading cross-team initiatives to drive forward-thinking process improvements; effectively identifying and structuring problems to address complex and ambiguous issues; successfully influencing across the organization to garner and alignment and prioritization for security roadmap for multi-market fleet operations
- Synthesize and present executive-level business cases to articulate relevant security risks, advise and consult on highly complex challenges and priorities for executive leadership teams, while building and leveraging trusted relationships and expertise within the greater Waymo organization
- Effectively scale fleet deployment and security protocols, reviewing all physical security events, categorizing and tracking them to identify opportunities to mitigate frequency and impact, such as enhancements to notification interfaces during qualifying events where field support is needed
- Build trusted relationships across the business and act as liaison to ensure alignment with security requirements and best practices, enabling executive decision-making speed as well as an efficient exceptions process; serving as Waymo’s single point of accountability for physical security determinations
- Providing continual training, guidelines and SOPs for 3rd party Waymo vendor procedures and standards, constantly iterating on best practices and enhanced efficiencies. Optimize 3rd-party vendor support via pre-defined KPIs and SLAs, measuring performance and CSAT on a quarterly basis
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 10+ years of experience managing physical security services, risk management, access management and/or investigations for diverse workplace environments including fleet operations, industrial operations (vehicle/ trucking preferred) and multi-market commercial office/ lab of a portfolio of at least 2 million sq. ft.
- Experience in third-party security and resilience risk management as well as third-party operational readiness and business continuity (including Covid-19 task force inputs); conducting risk and vulnerability assessments and operational security design/planning
- Demonstrated leadership experience in building, managing, mentoring and inspiring diverse project teams of cross-functional stakeholders and initiatives to meet business goals with project vision, mission and strategy
- Advanced ability to create relationships, influence, collaborate and lead internally/ externally at all organizational levels, and thrive in an ambiguous and dynamic environment
- Exceptional programmatic execution and problem solving skills, managing physical security process improvements by setting priorities, measurable objectives, cross-functional dependencies, planning, resourcing, scheduling, budgeting and subsequently monitoring and measuring outcomes through informal authority
- Excellent communication, analytical and presentation skills, with outstanding attention to detail and ability to take initiative, build productive relationships and influence effectively across various levels of stakeholders
It’s preferred if you have:
- A track record of strategic program implementation and proven objective analysis within highly matrixed organizations in an atmosphere where speed, flexibility and frugality are the norm
- Experience as a player-coach, willing to roll up sleeves to enable delivery while enabling the best performance from your team
- Automotive fleet operations management and/or rideshare sector interest, if not experience
- Degree or Certificate in program management, project management (PMP)
- Environmental Health & Safety experience
- Drive to work in a startup environment, ideally in tech industry
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)