Engineering Operations Specialist, Mapping Operations
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
As its name suggests, our Engineering Operations team plays a vital role in the creation and development of Waymo's autonomous driving technology. Engineering Operations complements automation by providing the human expertise necessary to build HD maps, label perception data, and ensure the safety and efficacy of the Waymo driver by evaluating real-world and simulated events and building test scenarios, all done with extraordinary levels of accuracy.
In this role, you’ll:
- Manage mapping projects from conception to delivery
- Troubleshoot problems with relevant leads
- Monitor project health metrics and escalating bottlenecks
- Coordinate with remote teams to validate understanding and alignment
- Perform root cause analysis on process issues and errors
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS/BA degree or 2 years of relevant work experience
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals in a diverse and dynamic work environment
- The ability to quickly learn and implement new concepts and utilize proprietary tools
- Be self-motivated and demonstrated ability to maintain good judgment in fast-paced, high-stress environments
- Fundamental skills in task planning and time management
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with ramping up operational teams at scale
- The ability to effectively operate with high energy and flexibility in a fast-paced, constantly evolving team environment
- A strong background as an independent contributor (self guided) in previous roles
- Experience with software release management or equivalent is a bonus!
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)