Fleet Infrastructure, Software Tech Lead
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Want to build the next generation infrastructure for managing fleets of driverless cars? Join the Waymo Fleet Infrastructure team in San Francisco and help design the future of transportation!
Fleet Infrastructure Engineering is a cooperative and tight-knit group in charge of building the systems that will manage and optimize a large fleet of truly driverless vehicles - something that has never been done before. We are a diverse group of talented Software Engineers, and we need more curious and collaborative people to help us build this system from the ground up.
In this TL role, you’ll:
- Collaborate with Product, Ops, UX, and other engineering teams to develop systems and processes as business needs grow and evolve
- Solve hard, real-world problems such as demand planning, pickup / dropoff optimization, fleet optimization, field escalation handling, and more
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 6+ years experience working with C++ and distributed systems
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or relevant technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity, solving large, open-ended problems
- Excellent communication and collaboration - ability to work across multiple teams to achieve long-term goals
- Ability to think strategically and architecturally, while balancing short- and long-term needs
It’s preferred if you have:
- Passion for working in cross functional environments that include nontechnical stakeholders
- Experience with operations tooling, developer productivity, or developer tools
- Familiarity with Google infrastructure (e.g. Flume, Borg, Protocol Buffers)
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email email@example.com. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)