Systems Engineering Manager, Sensing and Perception
Mountain View, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role you will:
- Hire, train, and mentor top notch engineers and managers to enhance the capabilities and increase the capacity of an existing team
- Establish innovative approaches to tackle deep technical challenges in the complex hardware and software required for autonomous driving
- Create a team environment that fosters inclusion and respect and allows team members to thrive personally and professionally, including setting prioritization and focus of the team to meet business and company goals
- Lead the team to develop the requirements for and verification of the sensing and perception systems
- Lead the team to contribute to the overall architecture and design of the sensing-perception stack, by driving alignment on proposed requirements, conducting trade studies and analyzing field data
- Lead the team to develop or improve the team’s tools and processes as a way to amplify the contributions of each team member, for example by developing simulation based verification techniques
At a minimum, we’d like you to have:
- 3 or more years direct management experience, with a demonstrated ability to grow and lead high performing teams
- 3 or more years experience designing, building, or testing sensing or perception systems, with demonstrated delivery of systems for internal or external milestones
- Bachelor's Degree in relevant Engineering or related field (including ME, EE, CS, Robotics, Controls, Aerospace, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
It’s preferred if you have:
- SW development experience (including C/C++, Python)
- Strong foundation in system engineering fundamentals such as requirements definition, formal verification and validation methods
- 10 or more years of engineering experience
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email email@example.com. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)