Mountain View, California, United States
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
As Waymo is becoming a multi-product company, Trucking is our second largest opportunity and will see massive growth in 2022. We believe that commercial trucking, the backbone of our economy, stands to reap untold benefits by deploying autonomous trucks, particularly during long-haul stretches. Roads will be safer. Goods will be cheaper. Truckers will be called upon to use their skills in new ways while the truck itself becomes a trusted navigation partner.
In this role, you'll be working with a small but rapidly growing team, benefitting from shared technology of the greater Waymo and Alphabet organizations. Our team is made up of robotics specialists from some of the leading technology companies of our time - with deep expertise in artificial intelligence, machine learning, and real-world deployment of advanced technology.
- Build robust solutions to cutting-edge driving problems creatively and collaboratively
- Improve how the truck acts and reacts in complex and nuanced situations
- Grow a fundamental understanding of the next driving challenges by analyzing real-world data collected on our state-of-the-art fleet
- Work cross-functionally across Waymo’s Core Planning, Research and Simulation teams to drive new features to completion
- MS degree in Computer Science, Robotics, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in at least one of: robotics research in motion planning and control (e.g., trajectory optimization, planning under uncertainty, probabilistic robotics, optimal control, guidance, navigation and control, etc.), data analysis at scale, machine learning at scale
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience programming in C++
- Experience solving software problems using geometry and linear algebra
- Experience writing robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience optimizing highly performant C++ code
- Experience designing complex software systems and interface
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)