Senior/Staff Platform Software Engineer, System Software and Linux OS
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo Onboard Infrastructure is responsible for low-level software and infrastructure on various components of the Waymo self-driving system. The team’s scope covers everything from low-level platform software to high-bandwidth data logging, IPC (low-latency and high-throughput), performance analysis, full-system debugging, etc. We work closely with the Hardware, Sensor, Perception, Behavior/Planning and Machine-Learning teams to build the most performant and low-latency self-driving solution in the industry.
In this role, you will work on the Linux Platform Software Team. The Platform Software team owns the primary compute node of Waymo’s on-vehicle compute platform. You will be responsible for evolving the low-level system software and ensuring high performance levels of the overall system (including CPUs, accelerators and custom ASICs). If you enjoy building robust and high-performance embedded systems using state-of-the-art Compute Hardware as well as partnering with a cross functional team (including Hardware, Perception and Behavior) to design and build clean and maintainable solutions to complex problems, you’ll be a great fit for this role.
In this Platform Software SWE role, you will:
- Work on a small team of software engineers to design and implement platform software components through production and launch
- Work on Platform Software components for high-performance systems including custom ASICs and accelerators
- Bring-up Linux on new hardware device(s), working with hardware engineering teams and external vendors (silicon vendors, contract manufacturers, etc.)
- Develop, review, port, test, and debug Linux device drivers
- Work effectively across a variety of engineering teams and SoC partners to resolve issues
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or relevant technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Proficiency in C or C++
- Experience with Linux kernel and device driver development
- Working knowledge of hardware bring-up and debugging, including the ability to read schematics/datasheets and use common tools (oscilloscopes, multimeter, logic analyzers, etc.)
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience with working with multiple types of industry partners (CM, ODM, OEM, ISV, etc.)
- Experience with firmware development (Coreboot, U-Boot, etc) and secure boot
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: GPUs, ML accelerators, power management, high-performance networking, performance optimization
- Motivated with an inclination to take on complex and ambiguous problems
- Experience in dealing with existing, complex systems and codebases
- Experience with common hardware protocols/interfaces (PCIe, Ethernet, I2C, etc)
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)