Senior Security Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Security is critical to the overall safety of a self driving car (SDC) and the role of the security team is to protect Waymo’s autonomous vehicle and backend services from attackers. We work closely with engineering and other teams across the organization on analyzing threats, recommending remediations and pen-testing the output.
In this Autonomous Vehicle Security role, you will help ensure the highest level of security of the Waymo autonomous vehicles by engaging with all stages of the development lifecycle, from design analysis to code reviews and assisting validation teams.
Your goal will be to identify and help drive the remediation of security issues in product designs and/or implementations related to Waymo autonomous vehicles and its connected ecosystem.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate with engineering on security during design/development/testing
- Develop security related tooling for security and engineering teams
- Perform technical security assessments, code audits and design reviews.
- Assist with technical solutions to mitigate security vulnerabilities.
- Conduct research to identify new attack vectors against Waymo products and services.
- Develop Threat Models using industry best practices
- Generate security requirements for Waymo engineering and suppliers
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree or Master’s degree in Computer Science, or a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5+ years of experience in application security and system security.
- Foundation in, and in-depth technical knowledge of, security engineering, computer and network security, authentication, security protocols and applied cryptography.
- Experience with attacks and mitigation methods.
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity, solving large, open-ended problems
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills.
It’s preferred if you have 2 or more of the following:
- Embedded Security experience
- Experience in operating system internals and hardening (e.g. Linux, Android)
- Experience in code auditing
- Experience writing security requirements
- Solid understanding of HW security
- Software development experience in C++ or Java.
- Experience with network protocols and secure network design.
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)