Software Engineer, Evaluation, Behavior Prediction
Mountain View, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Behavior Prediction (BP) team is responsible for predicting the actions of other agents around the self-driving car: "Will that pedestrian cross the street after the light turns green?" "Will that oncoming car turn in front of me?" This is an incredibly difficult problem that is critical for the success of any self-driving car project.
As our self-driving car gets better and accumulates more miles, we need reliable systems and rigorous methods to automatically assess our predictions. This can be done through geometric reasoning, simulation, modeling with statistical distributions and/or machine learning. Developing evaluation frameworks in autonomous driving is an uncharted space and thus requires both solid engineering skills and true ingenuity. If you are enthusiastic about leveraging a large volume of exceptionally rich data in an area with lots of unexplored territory to help the advent of autonomous driving technology, this is the place for you!
In this role you will:
- Collaborate closely with Waymo software teams, especially Trucking, ML Infra and Simulation.
- Understand driving issues and develop mission-critical evaluation dataset, metrics, and tooling to measure them.
- Experiment with data. Prototype, develop and validate novel solutions to open-ended problems
- Develop, scale and generalize the evaluation infrastructure to support a wide range of Behavior Prediction Eval use cases
- BS in Computer Science, Robotics, Statistics, Physics, Math or another quantitative area
- 3 years industry experience designing, writing, and maintaining production-level code
- Experience working with data (e.g., data processing frameworks, evaluation, statistical gotchas, machine learning, etc.)
- Proficient in C++ or Python
- PhD in Computer Science, Robotics, Statistics, Physics, Math or another quantitative area
- Experience in developing evaluation data, metrics, and tools
- Statistics, data science or Machine Learning experience either in academia or industry
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email email@example.com. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)