Systems Test Engineer, Lidar
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Systems Engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role you will:
- Own a significant portion of the lidar verification and validation activities to support qualification of fully autonomous operations
- Strategize with other test engineers to develop cohesive verification and validation plans, including test plans
- Design, debug, and execute tests to verify requirements, expose issues, and identify root causes
- Analyze test data and communicate the results in technical reports and presentations
- Develop automation frameworks allowing for standardized tests across multiple platforms
- Write reusable, high quality, data analysis and test automation software (C++ and/or Python)
We’d like you to have:
- A bachelor’s degree in physics, engineering, or other technical field OR equivalent practical experience
- An advanced degree OR 5 years of equivalent practical experience
- Experience with system engineering verification and validation methods
- Experience analyzing data using Python or other high level language (e.g. Matlab, SQL, R, C++)
- Experience in writing testable and maintainable software running in production level environment
- Experience collaborating in projects with multiple contributors and stakeholders
- Familiarity with robotics, sensing, optics, or perception technologies
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)