Lead Fleet Technician (PM Shift)
Dallas, Texas, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo Operations exists to deliver the Waymo Driver to the world. We are a global team building and scaling the world's first and leading autonomous fleet and operations platform. From component sourcing to end customer management, we enable and create value for Waymo through scaled and orchestrated deployment of the Waymo Driver. At Waymo, we are dedicated to building a culture that promotes inclusivity and celebration. We value diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences; recognize that inclusive actions lead to equitable outcomes; and support and encourage all team members to share their ideas to help Waymo better serve the communities in which we operate.
Technical Fleet Operations is a dynamic team tasked with maintaining Waymo’s self-driving fleet. Our role is critical in ensuring fleet uptime and safety. This is achieved by installing, repairing, and troubleshooting custom built computers, high-tech self driving sensors and modules. Our team works closely with engineers and other teams to ensure the proprietary technology can progress rapidly. Excellent communication and teamwork are fundamental aspects of our company.
In this role you'll:
- Master proprietary cutting-edge technologies, both independently and while collaborating with engineers and team.
- Service and troubleshoot self-driving systems, components, and integrated sensor stacks using internal proprietary tools.
- Diagnose OEM base vehicle systems and components using manufacturer-provided software and tools, specializing in CAN, LIN, and FlexRay.
- Demonstrate leadership alongside managers by providing exemplary hands-on skills, technical writing, and verbal communication practices.
- Complete tasks outside of established processes when necessary and propose creative solutions to unforeseen roadblocks.
- Cover AM or PM shifts weekday, weekends, holidays as required.
- Provide remote field support, up to 25% of the time.
- Operate Waymo self-driving vehicles as needed for the role.
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- A B.A., B.S. and/or an automotive technology degree.
- 4+ years experience as a shop lead/master tech.
- 4+ years experience in an automotive research/development environment.
- Strong diagnostic troubleshooting experience with OEM systems: high-level experience working with Class 8 trucks, CAN, Flexray, LIN, HVAC, cooling, chassis, and suspension.
- Ability to adhere to a rigid schedule of operating times for the assigned shift including, but not limited to, working on holidays, weekends, shift rotations and overtime when needed. PM shifts generally begin around 2pm, with specific schedules to be set by your manager.
- Must be willing and able to travel on short notice to support fleet needs - could be up to 25% of the time.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of this role, which are listed below.
- Experience working in a matrix organization, thrives working in a rapidly changing and evolving environment, independently and with cross functional teams.
It’s preferred if you have:
- Master Technician certification, ASE certification and/or manufacturer certification.
- 2+ years experience working with ADAS systems and/or other self-driving systems.
- Knowledgeable regarding optimization of fleet maintenance and OEM maintenance items.
- Ability to operate comfortably within and troubleshoot Linux based systems.
- Diagnostic experience with embedded modules, self-driving systems and sensor stacks.
- Lean Six Sigma certification.
- Ability to qualify to operate Waymo self-driving vehicles on public roads, which is a safety-sensitive function that requires a valid drivers’ license in good standing, a driving record that meets regulatory and internal standards for safety, and passing drug and alcohol testing.
Essential Job Function Physical Requirements (Physical Task - Frequency):
- Lift up to 50 lbs from 30 min to 5 hrs per day - Occasionally/Frequently (40%)
- Carry up to 50 lbs from 30 min to 5 hrs per day - Occasionally/Frequently (40%)
- Push up to 50 lbs - Occasionally (25%)
- Pull up to 50 lbs - Infrequently (5%)
- Stand (at a time and total in shift) - Constantly/Frequently (70%)
- Walk (at a time and total in shift) - Constantly/Frequently (70%)
- Climb ladder - Occasionally (30%)
- Crouch or Kneel - Occasionally/Frequently (30%)
- Crawl - Infrequent (5%)
- Stoop - Occasionally/Frequently (20%)
- Reach overhead - Occasionally (30%)
- Reach below waist level - Frequently (50%)
- Reach at desk/waist level - Frequently (50%)
- Use lower extremities to operate foot controls - Frequently (50%)
- Simple grasp - Constantly (75%)
- Firm grasp - Frequently (50%)
- Fine manipulation - Frequently (50%)
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email email@example.com. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)