Systems Test Engineer, Perception
Mountain View, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo's Fault Protection and Perception Systems Test Engineering team works to test and verify Perception, Prediction, and Planning software in groundbreaking new ways. We set the verification strategy to ensure our autonomous technology gets our riders to their destination safely and comfortably, then we design and execute the tests that verify that performance. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this role, you'll:
- Lead the qualification of perception systems to build sufficient test coverage to qualify fully autonomous software releases
- Use your knowledge of autonomous vehicles, engineering and test strategy development experience to review and provide feedback on system requirements
- Develop evaluation tools and design metrics for simulation and log data
- Use these and existing tools to design, debug, and execute tests
- Analyze test data, communicate the results in technical reports and presentations
- Write reusable, high quality, data analysis software and be an enabler and champion of automation
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- An advanced degree in engineering, computer science, robotics, or other relevant technical field OR equivalent practical experience involving perception or robotic systems
- Experience with perception systems for robotics OR experience with software verification and validation for software running on robotic or safety critical systems with sensor data processing components
- Solid written and verbal communication and experience contributing to projects spanning across multiple disciplines
- Experience in data analysis/modeling or software engineering using Python or other high level language (e.g. Matlab, SQL, R, C++, etc). Familiarity using Linux and software version management systems.
It’s preferred if you have:
- 6+ years of engineering experience (graduate school and industry experience both count)
- Experience in autonomous vehicles, robotics, assisted driving technology, or other safety critical systems
- Experience with testing systems leveraging machine learning technology
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a disability, medical condition or religious belief, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with federal, state, and local law.
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)