Director of Product Management, Release Evaluation
Mountain View, California, United States
San Francisco, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo takes an integrated approach to building the world’s first fully autonomous driving technology, with researchers, designers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From autonomous driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this role, you'll:
- Work with a team of world class data scientists, engineers, machine learning practitioners to evaluate the safety of our driving behavior in a data-driven way (across ride hailing and trucking)
- Develop the roadmap for innovating and scaling our most important evaluation methodologies for determining if software is ready for Rider Only
- Connect simulation realism efforts (such as sensor simulation and simulated agents) with evaluation in order to increase signal and learnings from simulation
- Holistically oversee the evaluation budget and how we will scale to many cities with the right unit economics
- Manage a team overseeing safety evaluation methodologies, grow the team, and be the face for release evaluation internally and externally
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- 10+ years of product management experience and 5+ years of management experience
- Experience working in data infrastructure and/or cloud computing
- Experience in analytical roles or machine learning roles, ideally interacting with data scientists
- Experience innovating over large time horizons in a highly uncertain, deeply technical environment
- Ability to think about long-term product vision, and then decompose that into concrete, actionable plans with cross-org alignment
It's preferred if you have:
- Business acumen and/or past budget owner that has scaled a business to better unit economics
- Experience as a manager of managers
- Experience working on a product where safety was a top priority and interfaced with System Engineering, Safety Researchers, or government entities
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)