Engineering Operations Specialist, Mapping Operations Maintenance
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
As its name suggests, our Engineering Operations team plays a vital role in the creation and development of Waymo's autonomous driving technology. Engineering Operations complements automation by providing the human expertise necessary to build HD maps, label perception data, and ensure the safety and efficacy of the Waymo driver by evaluating real-world and simulated events and building test scenarios, all done with extraordinary levels of accuracy.
In this role, you’ll:
- Lead key map maintenance efforts to ensure Waymo maps are accurate and up-to-date
- Drive down the time taken to fix, replace, and open blocked sections of the map
- Define and scope projects with quantifiable goals and baseline data
- Collaborate with engineering and product stakeholders to influence process improvements
- Help resolve highest-priority time-sensitive issues
- Work with the other Mapping Operations teams (New Build, Quality, Productivity) to align on processes, metrics, and resource utilization across Mapping Operations as a whole
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Bachelor's Degree in technical or business discipline
- 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Ability to derive insights from data and use data to inform decisions
- Experience building efficient processes that scale across a large organization
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals in a diverse and dynamic work environment
- Ability to quickly learn and implement new concepts and utilize proprietary tools
It’s preferred if you have:
- Previous experience in Mapping Operations
- Experience leading successful operational transformations (Lean/Six Sigma experience a plus!)
- Experience working with vendor teams
- Familiarity with SQL scripts
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email email@example.com. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)