Software Engineer, Planner, Infrastructure Platforms
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
We are seeking infrastructure engineers to take the Waymo Behavior Prediction(BP) and Planner to the next level, and create a development platform that will scale to our ambition of fully solving autonomous driving in more complex driving environments:
- Building frameworks to enable technical feature development teams to iterate quickly and smoothly on top of it, while encouraging good design disciplines;
- Converging solutions to similar problems in Planner and Behavior Prediction, Onboard and Offboard.
Some of the projects you may work on in this role include:
- Building architecture to empower and accelerate fast-growing feature development of the BP and Planner pipeline;
- Designing the understandable and flexible data layer to represent the world around the car, that is exposed to the rest of BP and Planner;
- Optimizing ML workflows to make model training and inference run efficiently on the autonomously driven vehicle itself and in our simulation environment;
- Building infrastructure to make millions of miles of data more useful for engineers;
- Designing and building the APIs within our system to jointly optimize for ease of use, reliability, and latency.
- 5 years of experience as a software engineer or similar roles.
- Exhibit a track record of technical contributions and excellent engineering execution.
- Passionate about infrastructure work: building performant, robust, easy to use, scalable systems and tools.
- Excited about working on a high velocity space where solutions are unclear and exploration is key.
- Experience in building infrastructure and service platforms for vertical feature teams in complex systems
- Expertise in C++
- Experience in ML workflows
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)