Software Engineer, Logs Infrastructure
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Waymo Logs team manages business-critical Waymo data, including driving/sensor logs from cars and simulated/synthetic logs from offboard evaluation systems. As our fleet and the accumulated driving miles grow significantly, we are constantly facing the challenges of building / rebuilding our storage system in a way that can cost effectively scale with our growing mileage and usage, and supporting different workloads from various offboard eval systems.
We are looking for passionate engineers who are not afraid of challenging the status quo to join the team and help us to manage the future of the fast-growing Waymo data.
Our team owns a number of components, including all the aspects of a storage system:
- Build RPC services and WebUIs to make logs access efficient and easy.
- Improve performance and latency on RPCs interacting with systems like simulation, Webviz, ML workflows, and playback.
- Manage data lifecycle and garbage collection.
- Provide data replication and placement management.
- Ensure data integrity and consistency.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Proficient in C++
- 5+ years of experience in backend/infrastructure
- Passion and experience on large-scale storage systems and data processing pipelines
- Self-driven, passion to work in a fast-paced environment
- Creativity: High-threshold for experimentation and project exploration
- Enthusiastic about working on large scale infrastructure
- Solid understanding of distributed systems
- Good communication skills – verbal and written, and being able to effectively collaborate with the wider Waymo team (product managers, engineers, executives)
- Experience building large scale data / stream processing pipelines (like Apache Flume, Kafka, Spark)
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email firstname.lastname@example.org. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)