Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
The Waymo Policy and Government Affairs team is at the forefront of this exciting moment in the evolution of autonomous vehicles, transportation, and tech policy. Successful navigation of the political, community, and policy landscape is critically important to deploying and scaling our business. Our team works directly with policymakers and third party groups at the international, national, state, and local levels to help advance transportation policy, educate on the safety benefits of this technology, and advance consumer awareness and acceptance. Internally, our efforts support the innovative work of engineering, product, strategy, partnerships, and other teams; and we work closely with industry-leading legal and safety experts.
Describe the day-to-day activities and responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Head of City Policy and Government Affairs, you will advise Waymo (our leadership team, cross functional partners within the company, and the rest of the Policy Team) on how to thoughtfully and successfully operate our business in dense, urban markets, with a focus on California.
- You’ll use your incredibly broad and deep network of contacts to build support for Waymo’s service among city decision makers and community leaders.
- You’ll draft and manage the execution of strategic plans for Waymo’s political and community engagement at the city level.
- You’ll represent Waymo at events ranging from professional speaking engagements with leaders to tabling at grassroots community events.
- You will manage consultants and community organizers. You’ll drive strategic engagement with trade associations and relevant third parties.
- You’ll coordinate and collaborate with other members of the Waymo Policy team and other internal cross-functional business partners.
Minimum experience, skills, and attributes required for the position:
- Experience with community organizing, political campaign, or government affairs experience.
- A demonstrably large network of California leaders who generally think highly of you.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishing political goals on behalf of a company, elected official, community group, or cause.
- Skilled at persuasively and diplomatically advocating complex policy positions before members of the public and local leaders.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, and exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative and adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Frequent travel within home base region, and occasional long distance travel will be required.
Preferred experience, skills, and attributes required for the position:
- Passionate and knowledgeable about emerging technology and related public policy.
- Experience working on regulatory issues facing highly-regulated industries, especially in California.
- Knowledge of the policy and regulatory environment surrounding autonomous passenger and commercial vehicles, especially in California.
- Knowledge of real estate/land use policy, urban planning, and issues (equity, workforce development, sustainability) which could be considered related to autonomous vehicles.
- Humility, confidence, and curiosity; we’re a small team and everyone has to be ready to rise to occasion to do things that might go beyond their past experience, and also to roll up their sleeves and do things that don’t take expertise but do take time and effort.
Note: The following is only applicable for roles hired in the US. As we keep the safety of our employees and our communities top of mind, COVID-19 vaccinations continue to be a critical prevention measure to help end the pandemic. Because of this, Waymo requires all US-based employees who perform work onsite for Waymo to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are unable to be vaccinated, Waymo will provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable law.
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to maintaining a supportive and inclusive workplace for all employees. Waymo does not discriminate against, and prohibits harassment of, any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo is committed to ensuring equal opportunity for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and require an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please let the recruiting team know or email email@example.com. (This email address is intended to be used only for requesting accommodations as part of the application process. Other inquiries will not receive a response.)