Staff Software Engineer, Technical Lead
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
The Transportation & Ride-Hailing Infrastructure team is central to Waymo’s commercialization plans - responsible for building cloud and on-car software to operate Waymo's fully self-driving vehicles as a service. These systems allow our vehicles to deliver people and goods safely and efficiently to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like scalability, capacity planning, reliable communications, and vehicle routing, while collaborating with software engineers and product managers both on and off the car. If you’re a software engineer who’s curious and passionate about scaling the commercialization of our Level 4 autonomous driving, we'd like to meet you.
In this role you'll:
- Solve cutting-edge challenges in the joint space of autonomous vehicles and ride-hailing commercialization
- Lead technical areas to solve problems in vehicle routing, passenger destination suggestions, vehicle dispatch optimization, and ETA prediction
- Design, implement, and scale the backend infrastructure for Waymo's ride-hailing services to handle passenger interactions, communications with hailing and routing services, and distributed protocols for reliable operation of our vehicles in a commercial service
- Develop expertise in and make use of various Google technologies, like Borg, Spanner, Flume, and custom-built systems for our specific problems
- Work with experts in the field of autonomous vehicles
- Have a front-row seat to Waymo’s hyper growth stage of commercial service expansion
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- Experience building large-scale distributed systems
- 8+ years of experience with complex data structures and algorithms
- 8+ years of industry experience
- 2+ years of experience in technical leadership roles
It’s preferred if you have:
- MS in Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in building ride-hailing related backend services: e.g, mapping, routing, localization, vehicle dispatching, and/or rider matching
- 10+ years of experience in C++ and/or with writing robust, efficient code
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.