Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
The communication infrastructure is a key part of Waymo's autonomous vehicles, as it allows the software on the vehicles to communicate with each other and with cloud services. The team responsible for the infrastructure is responsible for everything from the lower-level network stack to the Linux system level components to the application level RPC and Pub/Sub APIs. The infrastructure is designed to be highly available and reliable, while also being able to handle high throughput in an unreliable network environment.
You will be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of the communication infrastructure, specifically focusing on the on-vehicle system level components. You will also work with other teams at Waymo to ensure that the infrastructure meets the needs of Waymo's autonomous vehicles. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in Linux system programming, expertise in networking, IPC and RPC, preferably with distributed systems design and development experiences.
In this role, you’ll:
- Design, development and maintain the infrastructure for vehicle/cloud communication end to end, including both on-vehicle and in-cloud systems.
- Design solutions to high complexity problems, with high-availability and high-reliability in mind.
- Working extensively with other teams to evolve the infrastructure to meet the needs of Waymo’s fast expanding business plan.
- Continually improve the performance and scalability of the system.
- Contributing to the growth of our development capabilities through leading, mentoring and supporting fellow engineers
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 5+ years of experience in software development, design, and architecture.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills with solid Computer Science fundamentals
- Extensive experience in Linux system programming.
- Hands-on experience in IPC, RPC and multi-threading programming.
- Ability to handle ambiguity and uncertainty and able to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
It’s preferred if you have
- Solid experience in C++ programming.
- Deep understanding in network programming, especially for unreliable network environments.
- Experience in common network protocols (TCP, UDP, HTTP, QUIC etc) and inter-service communication solutions.
- Experience building and deploying distributed systems.
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.