Software Technical Program Manager
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Technical Program Managers own the tactical roadmap and work closely with Engineering and Product to manage project schedules and help keep everyone on track with goals. TPM’s define how we achieve goals, what the actual tasks are, and who is doing what. They act with thoughtful urgency, and own and drive discussions, decisions, and outcomes instead of acting as a support function. The TPM team at Waymo is small and scrappy, yet organized. We look for people who like to create from scratch, can navigate ambiguity, and be flexible. We also thrive on curiosity and look for people who love to learn and find answers. TPM’s at Waymo love to celebrate progress and are generous in acknowledging accomplishments of others. We are defining a brand new industry that doesn’t exist, and if we can work together, we can change humanity. This is a Software TPM role within the Hardware team.
In this role you'll:
- Partner with engineers and other stakeholders to coordinate the bring-up of new hardware and sensors, develop common tools, and build shared infrastructure. Be prepared to roll up your sleeves, this role will leverage your hands-on software background!
- Work closely with software team(s) to identify, plan, prioritize, and execute tasks
- Prioritize and manage issues, risks and dependencies and resolve misalignments with overall scope and schedule
- Synthesize and communicate status of the teams at multiple levels to highlight the team’s accomplishments, flag areas of risk, and provide a call to action around important milestones
- Partner closely with the engineering managers on tools and processes to prioritize, track and streamline the team’s work, and to scale a rapidly growing team in a fast-paced environment
- Take the initiative to identify and resolve ways in which the team can set itself up for success.
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- A BS or MS degree in Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or a similar discipline and/or 5+ years software engineering experience
- 5+ years technical product or program management experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; experience crafting compelling messages for multiple audiences
- The ability to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally and within a matrix organization
- Strong technical abilities - able to work closely/credibly with highly technical teams
- Ability to deliver to a high standard under pressure in a rapidly evolving environment
It’s preferred if you have:
- Experience in robotics or autonomous driving vehicles preferred
- Experience in system or vehicle integration preferred
- Experience in embedded software development
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.