Program Manager, Scaled Operations
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Waymo Operations exists to deliver the Waymo Driver to the world. We are a global team building and scaling the world's first and leading autonomous fleet and operations platform. From component sourcing to end customer management, we enable and create value for Waymo through scaled and orchestrated deployment of the Waymo Driver. At Waymo, we are dedicated to building a culture that promotes inclusivity and celebration. We value diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences; recognize that inclusive actions lead to equitable outcomes; and support and encourage all team members to share their ideas to help Waymo better serve the communities in which we operate.
In this role you'll:
- Design and execute strategic programs and initiatives that are aimed at making Operations more scalable, reliable, and outcome-oriented
- Take these programs from inception to completion by working with various cross functional stakeholders
- Pitch in on high priority, ad-hoc, and critical run-the-business initiatives including annual business planning and governance, in line with our agile way of working
- Lead the development, evaluation and implementation of Organizational programs and workflows
- Lead the implementation of policies and procedures in compliance with company standards
- Partner with Waymo’s various cross functional stakeholders to design scalable process and serve as the team’s lead driving continuous improvement as the service matures
- Scale operations in new markets (vehicles, vendors), accounting for various operational and company-wide objectives while balancing Autonomous Vehicle technology deployment requirements
- Work with other Operations leads to influence and drive operational improvements, using metrics to increase efficiency and accountability; dive deep into the data to provide thought-provoking, workable business solutions
- Independently manage complex strategy program milestones through clear planning and alignment, prioritization, strong cross-Ops and cross-functional communication and collaboration, and implementation execution in a timely manner, delegating and overseeing sub-projects
- Utilize data to identify inefficiencies in operational structure, and implement opportunities for continuous improvements for operational scale
- Construct evidenced-based, data-driven arguments in support of any required changes to scope, time, or resources for your programs
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- Bachelor's degree, or in lieu of a degree, an additional 4+ years of work experience with program management in operations, strategy, and planning
- At least 7+ years of experience in operations, management consulting, strategy, vendor management, or relevant outsourcing engagements
- Experience in change management and managing projects and initiatives
- Strategy, project management, problem-solving, analysis, and communication skills with good business judgment
- Ability to travel 10-25% as business demands
It’s preferred if you have:
- Masters or MBA degree
- 8-10 years of experience in operations, management consulting, strategy, vendor management, or relevant outsourcing engagements
- Demonstrated ability to partner with and align executive stakeholders across a diverse geographic and functional landscape
- Certification in Lean (Six Sigma Belt or similar), or Project Management (PMP or similar)
US-Remote includes employees working from their primary residence in certain locations only, such as Arizona, California, Connecticut, DC, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, Virginia, Texas, Virginia, and Wisconsin. This list may not be complete or accurate, and candidates should speak with their recruiter about their specific location for remote work.
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.