Senior Software Engineer, Simulation-based Release Evaluation
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Our 'Simulation - Release Evaluation' team is responsible for designing and operating large-scale simulation to evaluate the safety and driving quality of software updates to the Waymo Driver before they are released to the public autonomous fleet. On this team we tackle unique infrastructure and data science challenges that require creative and pragmatic solutions. This role involves heavy collaboration with:
- The simulator platform teams to leverage the simulator’s strengths, work around weaknesses, and inform its development as we utilize it to efficiently meet Waymo’s product and business objectives.
- Data science teams to interpret the results of massive scale simulations.
- Onboard engineering and product teams to ensure that our simulations are covering the most important behaviors of the Waymo Driver.
Example project areas on this team include:
- Simulating “what would have happened” and developing metrics and data pipelines for the stream of disengages by Waymo’s autonomous specialists as Waymo vehicles drive in the real-world on the latest release candidate software.
- Designing and implementing the simulation-based solution to detect elevated software exception rates and robustness to hardware failures in a new release candidate
We are looking for a motivated senior infrastructure or quantitative software engineer who is excited to be at the cutting edge of the autonomous driving space.
Minimum experience, skills, and attributes:
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a similar discipline
- Experience in the area of quality, experimentation, evaluation, statistical gotchas, machine learning, etc.
- Passionate about eval work: building internal tools, scalable systems, and data processing pipelines. Making our system better through data: "If you can't measure it, you can't improve it!"
- Experience with large-scale system design
- Strong coding experience with C++, Python or SQL
Preferred experience, skills, and attributes:
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Past experience building and supporting a large scale production system
The expected base salary range for this full-time position across US locations is listed below. Actual starting pay will be based on job-related factors, including exact work location, experience, relevant training and education, and skill level. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the role location or, if the role can be performed remote, the specific salary range for your preferred location, during the hiring process.
Waymo employees are also eligible to participate in Waymo’s discretionary annual bonus program, equity incentive plan, and generous Company benefits program, subject to eligibility requirements.
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.