Site Reliability Engineer, Technical Leadership Manager
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
The Software Reliability Engineering (SRE) team at Waymo is in charge of overall reliability for Waymo’s internal and external services – including our Waymo One ride hailing service. This work requires engineering skills, focused on architectural resiliency, optimizing safety and velocity, and automating as much as possible. As with most SRE teams, our team at Waymo is on-call, responding to the most urgent issues at Waymo. It is vital for SRE to perform our role so that the Waymo Driver can be available and in the hands of as many customers as possible.
In this role you'll:
- Build and manage a team of site reliability engineers
- Audit and redesign key architectural flows like data reloads, experimentation, change management, and capacity management
- Work closely with experts to design reliability and efficiency projects for massive systems
- Build services, systems and tooling to increase automation, reliability and scalability of Waymo
- Be on-call for Waymo’s most important software systems, and also act as Incident Coordinators for resolving any potential incidents
- Own areas of Waymo’s production landscape, becoming the go-to person for the continual operation of a service or umbrella of work
At a minimum we'd like you to have:
- Experience managing 15+ direct reports (including managers)
- 5+ years of experience managing site reliability engineers
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 2+ years experience as a reliability engineer, or 4+ years working with production systems
- Excellent communication skills - both technically with other engineers, and with non-technical stakeholders
- Excited about working on self-driving cars, and excited about reliability!
- Location: This position will be seated at the Google Warsaw office
It’s preferred if you have:
- Coding experience in C++
- Experience with NALSD
- Background in reliability engineering for a customer-facing product
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.