Global Supply Manager (Contract Management)
Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the Waymo Driver—The World’s Most Experienced Driver™—to improve everyone's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
At Waymo, we are mission-driven and believe deeply in the opportunity of autonomous driving technology to improve mobility and make people's lives better. We are united by purpose and responsibility (for our employees and riders alike). We are looking for kind, committed, employees who have integrity, dream big, work together as one team and create a sense of belonging for one another that is the foundation of our culture. We want each team member to feel welcomed and included in every step of our exciting journey.
Waymo's Supply Chain and Manufacturing teams are making the technology of the future a reality. We handle all production processes and supplier development strategies: from contracts and purchasing, to designs for improved manufacturing, through quality control and delivery. We collaborate actively with Waymo engineering teams as well as external suppliers and partners to make sure everything is built to spec and delivered on time to meet the rising demands of our business.
In this role, you'll:
- Identify, develop, negotiate contracts with, and manage relationships with Contract Manufacturers (CMs), currently in Asia, to support the design and manufacturing of the current and next generation self driving systems, both for short-term & long-term
- Support the overall sourcing strategy for contract manufacturing at Waymo through flawless execution
- Develop/refine contracts and SOWs with the CMs to ensure Waymo's needs are met, including cost, quality, and functional requirements
- Manage the development, production builds, risk mitigation and ramp from a commercial perspective for the current & next-gen architecture modules made at these CMs
- Drive schedule, capacity and supply planning to meet Waymo’s development and production demands, focusing on module assembly, test and PCBA manufacturing
- Evaluate technical and business risks using data based analysis and develop sound risk mitigation alternatives
- Provide cross-functional support with hardware engineering, Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (AME), Technical Program Manager (TPM), legal, finance and operations
- Perform cost modeling, negotiation and execution of part and assembly cost strategy for these modules at these CMs
- Drive communication between CMs and engineering
- Drive issue prioritization and resolution with the CMs, working collaboratively with engineering
- Support cost, supplier scorecard creation and other supply chain requirements at a regular cadence
- Professional proficiency in written and verbal English
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- 5-7+ years of experience working with similar products and contract manufacturers in Asia such as Quanta, Flextronics, Foxconn
- Bachelor's degree required - Electrical, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering
- Good understanding of supply chain within the autonomous vehicle or other high-tech industries - industry dynamics, challenges, how NPI (New Product Introduction) works
- Knowledge of product bill-of-materials and MVA (Manufacturing Value Added) pricing
- Experience in negotiation for module/system unit pricing, development costs, working with cross-functional teams
- Experience in a manufacturing site that receives materials, assembles them into a system/module, and does the final testing
It's preferred if you have:
- Master’s degree or MBA is a plus
- Experience working within a fast-paced high-tech industry with a good understanding of Surface Mount Technology (SMT), Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA) manufacturing, and module/system manufacturing
While at Waymo, you will enjoy benefits that cover…
Health and wellness: Our people are at the heart of everything we do. At Waymo, you can enjoy top-notch medical, dental and vision insurance, mental wellness support, a Flexible Spending Account (FSA), a Health Saving Account (HSA), on-site physicians and/or nurses in some locations, and special wellness programs.
Financial wellness: Your financial peace of mind is important to us. At Waymo, we offer competitive compensation, bonus opportunities, equity, a generous 401(k) plan or regional retirement plans, 1-on-1 financial coaching, a 529 College Savings Plan and lots of other perks and employee discounts.
Flexibility and time off: Take the time you need to relax and recharge. Enjoy the flexibility to work from another location for four weeks per year. We support an on-site, hybrid work model and offer remote working opportunities, paid time off, Waymo recharge days, bereavement, sick, and parental leave.
Supporting families: When it comes to growing your family or caring for your loved ones, you have our full support. Enhanced leave options include paid parental leave (birthing parent gets 24 weeks of paid leave, and non-birthing parent gets 18 weeks of paid leave), and 20 subsidized days of backup childcare or adult/elder care. Access to fertility care or adoption support as you grow your family.
Community and personal development: At Waymo, you’ll find a range of opportunities to grow, connect, and give back. We offer education tuition reimbursement, personal and professional development, mentorship, and other ways to connect through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), other internal groups, and even time off to volunteer.
Cool perks: Access to Google offices, cafes, wellness centers, personal training sessions, massages, haircuts, bike repairs, office transportation, commuter benefits and so much more. To support your wellbeing at home, you can enjoy at-home fitness and cooking classes, and more.
* Please note that while our benefits philosophy is the same in every place Waymonauts work, benefits may vary by office/country and are subject to eligibility requirements.