Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
At Waymo Legal, you will work on the exciting legal issues surrounding our transformational autonomous vehicle technology. We work closely with our policy, safety, security and privacy experts to help define transportation policy for the self-driving world to come, proposing new guidelines and consulting with lawmakers on regulatory changes that support and protect our users around the world. We also provide counsel to our product, engineering, and business teams, litigate cases, and make sure we comply with all global rules and regulations. We also assist with partnerships and commercial transactions and manage all of Waymo’s varied intellectual property.
In this role you'll:
- Review, draft and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements, such as hardware purchase and development agreements, inbound services agreements, supply chain agreements, joint development and collaboration agreements and other commercial transactional agreements.
- Respond promptly to legal requests from product, engineering, sourcing, business development, finance, marketing, and other clients, summarizing and communicating legal concepts in a clear and concise manner.
- Advise business and cross functional stakeholders on legal issues that may include product liability, regulatory issues, agreement structures and approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP, and negotiation strategy.
- Support the continuous improvement of Waymo and the legal department by identifying and implementing improvements in processes, forms and operations.
We'd like you to have:
- JD degree and must be admitted to the bar in which position is located and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status) in the state in which the position is located.
- 6 years of experience advising on intellectual property matters and commercial agreements.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial agreements; licenses, supply agreements and services agreements.
- Experience in another specialist subject area of law (for example but not limited to employment, intellectual property, corporate, or competition).
- Direct knowledge and experience advising clients from hardware supply, R&D or fast-paced new technology companies.
- Excellent analytical, communication and organizational skills, and demonstrated ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure. Ability and interest in developing expertise in new, complex subject areas.
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.