Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this Field Engineer role, you'll:
- Represent the EEE team (chassis electronics hardware/software, compute hardware, embedded controller hardware/software, power distribution systems, electronics) as the key touch point for interaction with the operations and vehicle assembly/test teams.
- Drive and have significant influence on:
Development of tools and infrastructure to better help diagnose field issues, Establishment and maintenance of operational procedures for handling and escalation of field issues
- Own: All engineering issue escalations beyond the garage technician team, passing issues to others where necessary, but always after drilling down on the actual issue/behavior with explanation and plots, and determining root cause where at all possible
- Maintain and distribute known issues and technical service bulletins to the technician and operations teams
We'd like you to have:
- BA/BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field; or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with a multimeter and an oscilloscope
- Experience debugging complex embedded hardware and software systems and managing issue tracking systems and analytics effectively
- Experience with data analysis and plotting software (e.g. matplotlib and pandas or similar) and in Python or similar scripting languages
- Experience developing embedded systems and C++ code
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.