Automotive Human Factors Researcher
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo approaches building the world’s first self-driving car with an integrated approach with researchers, product managers, and technical program managers working side by side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
In this UXR role you'll:
We'd like you to have:
- Lead critical research activities including human vehicle interactions, human reaction time measurement, ergonomic evaluation, future vehicle concept evaluation, and more
- Be Waymo’s go to expert in human and driver reaction time research, including deep knowledge of academic literature and methodologies for measuring reaction times
- Collaborate with Engineering, Product, Executives, ID and UX teams to develop, prioritize, and execute vehicle and driver related research roadmaps
- Independently and openly manage successful stakeholder relationships
- Consistently deliver clear and rigorous research findings that inform and inspire action
- Must work from Mountain View, CA office and be willing to travel up to 50% of the time
- Advance degree in Human Factors, Human Machine Interaction, or related field
- Minimum 3+ years of relevant product research experience, such as, experience working on consumer automotive products in fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Expert level knowledge of qualitative, quantitative, and market research methodologies, including when and how to apply them (designing & executing) across the product development cycle
- Humble collaborator and effective communicator driven to ensure research outcomes that advance Waymo’s knowledge and products
- Ideally but not required - experience working on self-driving vehicle technology, automotive safety, and automotive safety testing
- Ideally but not required - working knowledge of machine learning and simulation technology
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.