Waymo is a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world's access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 15 billion miles of simulation testing.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this role, you'll:
- Design and implement data and control flow needed to integrate new LIDAR into the self driving car
- Develop, deploy, and optimize custom hardware drivers
- Develop novel calibration processes involving multiple sensors and actuation stages in the loop
- Analyze data collected from sensor systems, and develop tools to help do so
- Support sensor manufacturing by customizing existing systems to improve test integration, assembly tracking, and reporting pipelines
- Design core blocks for FPGAs
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Physics, or related field or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of C++ or Python programming experience
- Proficient in numerical analysis and data visualization with tools such as Matlab, NumPy, or Matplotlib
It’s preferred if you have:
- Phd in Computer Science, Physics, or related field or research experience
- 5-10 years of C++ or Python programming experience
- Experience with communication interfaces (I2C, RS232, USB, Ethernet)
- Comfort in C++ programming if Python is your primary coding language
- Experience with RTL design, System Verilog, and embedded systems
- Familiarity with HLS for FPGA
We appreciate your interest in Waymo. Waymo is an equal employment opportunity employer. Waymo’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law. Waymo also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. Waymo will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. Waymo also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.