Intern, Software Engineer, Embedded Systems
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
In this internship, you'll:
- Work directly with our embedded systems firmware which controls every Waymo car.
- Help design and implement fail-operational safety-critical systems.
- Have a potential opportunity to work on chip and board bring-up, in addition to writing drivers for embedded peripherals and devices.
We'd like you to have:
- Understanding of microprocessor behavior at the bits, bytes, and registers level.
- Experience controlling real devices via software: cars, robots, coffee makers, etc.
- EE and ME experience a plus: it's great if you've designed a circuit, made a cool thing, and/or know your way around an oscilloscope.
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: C++
- Pursuing a degree (BS or BS) in Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship
- Ability to obtain and maintain work authorization in the country of employment in 2019
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.