Intern, Software Engineer, Systems Engineering
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Waymo's systems engineering team works together to blend software and hardware systems in groundbreaking new ways. We set the high performance standards that ensure our vehicles run smoothly and keep passengers safe, then design and perform the tests that validate that performance. Our technical program managers create and maintain the plans and timelines that keep projects on schedule. We're looking for talented teammates who’ll help us maintain strong teamwork and are passionate about driving results.
In this internship, you'll:
- Integrate a high-accuracy GPS system with our test data infrastructure, and use it to conduct tests of our mapping, sensor, or perception systems
- Design and execute tests to understand and improve our sensor and perception performance in inclement weather
- Build software tools to automate fault injection testing or automate performance testing on real hardware
We'd like you to have:
- Strong physics and engineering fundamentals, and an interest in the real-world issues that go beyond those fundamentals
- Strong data analysis skills
- Long-term interest in Waymo systems engineering, which solves technical problems that cross teams and helps the entire self-driving car team be systematic
- Interest in test planning and execution. Have the hands-on skills required to integrate test or prototype hardware and software. Be driven to find issues before our customers do
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including but not limited to: Python and C++
- Pursuing a degree (Bachelors, Masters, or PhD) in an Engineering, Science, or Math program. Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship
- Ability to obtain and maintain work authorization in the country of employment in 2019
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.