Intern, Optical Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
Hardware Engineering is a diverse, innovative, and collaborative group of electrical, mechanical, reliability, software and vehicle engineers. We design, build, and perfect the products which are the eyes and ears of Waymo's self-driving systems, and integrate those products into vehicle platforms. We're seeking curious and talented teammates to keep us moving in the right direction.
As an Optical Engineering Intern on the Waymo Eyes for Cars team, you will work in the space of camera system characterization and metrology development for our current and next generation self-driving systems. You will have the opportunity to research an optical challenge, propose and prototype a creative solution, and critically analyze your implementation’s performance.
In this internship, you'll:
- Investigate the impact of optical hardware and/or software algorithm choices on image quality
- Assemble optical, mechanical, and electrical test infrastructure
- Evaluate image quality of optical components, camera modules, and full on-car systems using objective metrics
- Receive mentorship and feedback from broad range of engineers
We'd like you to have:
- A strong ability to frame and solve new problems
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Experience or strong interest in several of the following areas:
- working with, calibrating, and testing imaging camera systems
- hardware bring-up and testing
- sensor systems
- image processing & image quality evaluation
- optical and electro-optical performance measurement
- optical modeling
- Experience with image quality/optical evaluation tools: Zemax, FRED ImageJ, Imatest
- Programming proficiency in either Python, C++, Matlab
- Pursuing an MS or PhD in Optical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship
- Ability to obtain and maintain work authorization in the country of employment in 2019
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.