Intern, User Experience Design
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo approaches building the world’s first self-driving car with an integrated approach with researchers, product teams, design, and engineers working side-by-side. We seek to understand the needs of our users and the opportunities of the technology to ensure we build the best product. From self driving behavior to user interfaces, we work to inspire the product vision and then make it a reality.
The Waymo UX team is focused on crafting intuitive, simple, and beautiful experiences across the entire user journey. We’re a small group of hands-on designers looking for an exceptional user experience designer who is passionate about designing elegant user experiences. As a UX designer, you’ll apply user-centered design principles to produce high-quality work—from concept to execution—across in-car interfaces and mobile devices.
Responsibilities of the internship:
- Design and test interaction flows and UI details that accurately communicate product functionality to product, engineering, and design team members
- Develop interaction patterns that create cohesion across the entire user journey
- Work closely with UX partners and product managers to ideate and define UX concepts
- Build a high-fidelity prototype that demonstrates your final concept (deliverable details to be determined with team)
Skill and attribute requirements:
- A design portfolio that demonstrates designing across a variety of screens and contexts: from design principles for web and/or mobile platforms to large screens interactive experiences; UX work should includes samples of: interaction flows, visual design, and animation
- Self-motivated and comfortable in a fast-paced, fluid environment, and able to execute with a high-level of autonomy while staying in sync with the rest of the team
- Basic understanding of front-end programming, including iOS and Android (enough to ensure your designs are buildable by engineering)
- Fluent in design tools (e.g. Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop and prototyping tools like Keynote, Flinto, Axure, and/or After Effects, Framer, Figma, InVision Studio, Adobe XD)
- Currently pursuing a bachelor's or master's degree in design or a related field and graduating in Winter 2018 or Spring/Summer 2019.
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program
- Ability to obtain and maintain work authorization in the country of employment in 2019
- Bonus: experience designing for 3D user interfaces, virtual reality experiences, and/or in-car screens and controls
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.