System Safety Engineer
Mountain View, California, United States
Waymo is the self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around. Building on software and sensor technology developed at Google, Waymo is now launching the world’s first fully self-driving transportation service that will take members of the public from A to B at the touch of a button.
The Waymo Safety team works to promote and ensure the safety of Waymo’s fully self-driving vehicles. Our experts develop safety goals and strategies, and conduct safety engineering analyses to ensure safety is being considered throughout design and is being integrated into our technology. The team develops and promotes safety strategies and policies for autonomous vehicles for its work with regulatory authorities, lawmakers, law enforcement and public and non-profit organizations. Our Safety Team also helps to ensure Waymo is complying with applicable safety regulations.
In this System Safety Engineer role, you'll:
- Conduct preliminary hazard analyses and sub-system analyses to identify top level safety requirements and to assess system architecture and designs
- Work closely with engineering team members to develop hazard mitigations and mitigation verification strategies needed to drive safety in design
- Participate in design reviews and discussions to help ensure that safety goals and requirements are being effectively addressed
- Work closely with vehicle safety, engineering teams and legal office to evaluate potential safety issues that arise from the field or from testing as well evaluating safety regulatory compliance issues
- Assist in resolving conflicts between safety requirements and other system requirements within the product engineering teams and escalate issues as appropriate to the director of safety
- Support safety process improvements as needed to improve a robust system safety process and to develop system safety best practices for autonomous vehicles
We'd like you to have:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical degree plus 5 years relevant engineering work experience that includes some system safety engineering. Advanced degree in engineering or related technical field is preferred
- Experience in performing hazard analyses (e.g. Preliminary Hazard Analysis, Subsystem Hazard Analyses, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Fault Tree Analysis, STPA)
- Domain expertise in safety analysis of automotive or embedded systems is desirable
- Hands-on experience in software development, software safety, and/or software verification and validation is desirable
- Experience in evaluating and ensuring regulatory compliance is desirable
- Experience in investigating and conducting engineering analysis of safety related field failures is desirable
At Waymo, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.