This policy explains:
- The purpose of this document and the key legal principles;
- What information we collect during our application and recruitment process and why we collect it;
- How we use that information; and
- How to access and update that information.
What is the purpose of this document?
This policy covers the information you share with us and/or which may be acquired or produced by Waymo LLC and its subsidiaries (“Waymo” or “we” or “us”) during the application or recruitment process. We are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal data about you. You are viewing or being sent a copy of this privacy notice because you are applying for work with us (whether as an employee, worker or contractor). It makes you aware of how and why your personal data will be used, namely for the purposes of the recruitment exercise, and how long it will usually be retained for.
Types of information we collect
In connection with your application for work with us, we will collect, store, and use the following categories of personal data about you:
- Your name, address, email address, telephone number and other contact information;
- Your resume or CV, cover letter, previous and/or relevant work experience or other experience, education, transcripts, or other information you provide to us in support of an application and/or the application and recruitment process;
- Information from interviews and phone-screenings you may have, if any;
- Details of the type of employment you are or may be looking for, current and/or desired salary and other terms relating to compensation and benefits packages, willingness to relocate, or other job preferences;
- Details of how you heard about the position you are applying for;
- Reference information, including information provided by third parties;
- Information relating to any previous applications you may have made to Waymo and/or any previous employment history with Waymo;
- Information about your educational and professional background from publicly available sources, including online, that we believe is relevant to your application or a potential future application (e.g. your LinkedIn profile); and
- Information related to any assessment you may take as part of the interview screening process.
We may also collect, store and use the following "special categories" of more sensitive personal data:
- Information about your race or ethnicity, gender, disability status, and veteran status.
How is your personal data collected?
We collect personal data about candidates from you, the candidate. We also receive information such as your education and work experience, contact information, and demographics, from third party data providers who have the rights to provide us with your information. These third parties include, recruitment agencies, background check providers, publicly accessible sources, and other third parties. These partners may collect your information from publicly available sources, or through third parties they work with.
How we use information we collect
Your information will be used by Waymo for the purposes of carrying out its application and recruitment process which includes:
- Assessing your skills, qualifications and interests against our career opportunities;
- Verifying your information and carrying out reference checks and/or conducting background checks (where applicable) if you are offered a job;
- Communications with you about the recruitment process and/or your application(s), including, in appropriate cases, informing you of other potential career opportunities at Waymo;
- Where requested by you, assisting you with obtaining an immigration visa or work permit where required;
- Making improvements to Waymo’s application and/or recruitment process including improving diversity in recruitment practices; and/or
- Complying with applicable laws, regulations, legal processes or enforceable governmental requests; and
- Proactively conducting research about your educational and professional background and skills and contacting you if we think you would be suitable for a role with us.
We will also use your information to protect the rights and property of Waymo, our users, applicants, candidates, employees or the public as required or permitted by law.
If you are offered and accept employment with Waymo, the information collected during the application and recruitment process will become part of your employment record.
If EU data protection, UK data protection law or data protection law in the People’s Republic of China applies to the processing of your information, our legal basis for processing your information
If you are based in the UK or the People’s Republic of China, this policy provides you with certain information that must be provided under the General Data Protection Regulation ((EU) 2016/679) (GDPR) and the Personal Information Protection Law of the People’s Republic of China. We will comply with data protection law and principles, which means that your data will be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way;
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes;
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited to those purposes;
- Accurate and kept up to date;
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about; and
- Kept securely.
Given the benefit to our business to appoint qualified people to the roles we advertise and to safeguard and control access to our valuable trade secret and confidential information, it is in our legitimate interest to evaluate an applicant's suitability for employment and decide who to appoint to specific positions. We collect and process your information to evaluate your eligibility for employment and where it is necessary in order to decide whether or not to offer you work.
If you fail to provide information when requested, which is necessary for us to consider your application (such as evidence of qualifications or work history), we may not be able to process your application successfully. For example, if we require references for this role and you fail to provide us with relevant details, we may not be able to take your application further.
We may also seek your consent to process your personal information in specific circumstances, or process it where necessary to comply with a legal obligation or for purposes connected to legal claims. If we use your information to improve our application or recruitment process, we do so on the basis that it is in our legitimate interests to ensure we recruit the best possible candidates.
How we use particularly sensitive personal data
We will use your particularly sensitive personal data in the following ways:
- We will use information about your health and disability status to consider whether we need to provide appropriate adjustments during the recruitment process, for example whether adjustments need to be made during a test or interview; and
- We will use information about your race or national or ethnic origin and gender, to ensure meaningful equal opportunity monitoring and reporting. Data that the Waymo uses for these purposes will be collected on an anonymised basis. Candidates are entirely free to decide whether or not to provide such information and your application will not be affected either way.
You will not be subject to decisions that will have a significant impact on you based solely on automated decision-making.
Who may have access to your information
- Your information may be shared with other companies owned by Alphabet Inc, such as Google, as well as, Waymo affiliates, subsidiaries or joint ventures in the US and in other jurisdictions, in relation to the purposes described above. If you have been referred for a job at Waymo by a current Waymo employee, we may inform that employee about the progress of your application and let the Waymo employee know the outcome of the process. In some cases, if it is identified that you have attended the same university/school or shared the same previous employer during the same period as a current Waymo employee we may consult with that employee for feedback on you.
- Waymo may also use service providers acting on Waymo’s behalf to perform some of the services described above including for the purposes of the verification/background checks. These service providers may be located outside the country in which you live or the country where the position you have applied for is located.
- Waymo may sometimes be required to disclose your information to external third parties such as to local labour authorities, courts and tribunals, regulatory bodies and/or law enforcement agencies for the purpose of complying with applicable laws and regulations, or in response to legal process.
- We will also share your personal information with other third parties if we have your consent (for example if you have given us permission to contact your references), or to detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Waymo, our users, applicants, candidates, employees or the public or as otherwise required by law.
- It is your responsibility to obtain consent from references before providing their personal information to Waymo.
- Your information may be stored and processed outside of the country or region where it was originally collected including in the United States. Whenever we share information of EU or UK data subjects outside the EU or UK, we make sure an adequate transfer mechanism is in place. For internal transfers, we rely on Model Contractual Clauses. If you have an inquiry regarding our privacy practices, we encourage you to contact us. You may also refer a complaint to your local data protection authority and we will work with them to resolve your concern.
Waymo takes appropriate steps to protect information about you that is collected, processed, and stored as part of the application and recruitment process.
Our retention of your information
If you apply for a job at Waymo and your application is unsuccessful (or you withdraw from the process or decline our offer), Waymo will retain your information for a reasonable period after your application. We retain this information for various reasons, including legal challenges, to consider you for other current or future jobs at Waymo and to help us better understand, analyze and improve our recruitment processes.
If you do not want us to retain your information for consideration for other roles, or want us to update it, please contact Waymo-CandidateSupport@waymo.com. Please note, however, that we may retain some information if required by law or as necessary to protect ourselves from legal claims.
Your rights in respect of your information
In certain countries, you may have certain rights under data protection law. This may include the right to request access or to update your information, request that it be deleted, or transferred, or object to Waymo using it for certain purposes.
If you wish to exercise a right of access please contact email@example.com. We will respond to any requests in accordance with applicable law, and so there may be circumstances where we are not able to comply with your request. If you are in the EU, the UK or the People’s Republic of China and if you can’t find the answer to your question in this policy, you can contact the Waymo data controller responsible for your information at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Depending on your country of residence, you may also raise any questions or concerns you have regarding your personal information with your local data protection authority.
Changes to this Policy
We may change this policy from time to time. We will post any changes to this policy on this page. Each version of this policy is identified at the top of the page by its effective date.
Last updated: March 3, 2022