Effective Date: February 20, 2018
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you participate in any interactive features of the Services, fill out a form, provide feedback, participate in a contest or promotion, apply for a job, communicate with us via third party sites, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use the Services
When you access or use our Services, we may automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log Information: We may collect log information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through our Services. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, including but not limited to identity verification services and publicly available sources.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our Services;
- Provide and deliver the products and services you request, and send you related information;
- Respond to your comments, questions, and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards, and events offered by Waymo and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Waymo and others;
- Personalize and improve the Services and provide advertisements, content, or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
How We Disclose Your Information
We only disclose your personal information in a few limited cases described below. We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Waymo will not disclose your personal information with a third party unless one of the following applies:
- You give us or them consent
- They are performing a service for us, such as to process payments, help analyze and improve our services, conduct surveys, deliver ads or send emails on our behalf
- We're involved in a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale or transfer of some or all of our assets
- In order to tailor products, services, ads, and offers to your interests as detailed in our U.S. state law requirements section below.
- Other legal and business reasons when required, or to:
- Comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request
- Enforce our customer agreements, including to investigate potential violations
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues
- Protect the rights, property, or safety of Waymo, our customers, or others, as required or permitted by applicable laws.
Some of our products let you share data to services provided by other companies. We don't control the data collection and use practices of these other services. To learn more, please visit the privacy policies of the companies that provide these services.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools, which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Waymo takes reasonable measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction.
Transfer of Information to the U.S. and Other Countries
Waymo is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, where you may not have the same rights and protections as you do under local law.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from Waymo by following the instructions in those messages. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about our ongoing business relations.
U.S. State Law Requirements
Some U.S. state privacy laws like the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and Virginia Consumer Data Protection Act (VCDPA) require specific disclosures for state residents. We describe the choices you have to manage your privacy and data across Waymo’s services in Your choices. You can exercise your rights by using these controls, which allow you to access, review, update and delete your information, as well as, export and download a copy of it. If you have questions or requests related to your rights under state privacy laws, you (or your authorized agent) can also contact Waymo using this Help page or by calling us at 1-844-261-3753.
Subject to certain limits and exceptions, California residents have certain rights with respect to their data as follows:
- Right of Access: You may ask us to confirm whether we are processing your personal information and, if so, to provide you with a copy of the personal information we hold about you (along with certain other details).
- Right to Correction: If the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate or incomplete, you are entitled to ask for correction or completion.
- Right to Deletion: You may ask us to delete or remove your personal information in some circumstances—for example, if we no longer need it.
- Right to Opt-Out of “sales”, “sharing” and “targeted advertising”. You can opt out of these activities by following the link at Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information.
- Right to Limit Use of Sensitive Personal Information: Waymo does not use or disclose sensitive personal information for any purpose other than as permitted by the law without right to limit.
- Right to be free from Discrimination in connection with exercising any of the foregoing rights.
Additional Information for California Residents
The CCPA, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act, affords individuals residing in California certain rights with respect to their personal information. If you are a California resident, this section applies to you.
We collect, use and disclose your personal information in the following ways:
Categories of personal information we collect
Business purposes for which personal information may be used or disclosed
Parties with whom personal information may be disclosed
Right to Opt Out of Sharing, Disclosure, or Sale of Personal Information
Waymo may “share” and “sell” identifiers and electronic network activity information, as those terms are defined in the CCPA, with advertising partners (including social media platforms) to tailor products, services, ads, and offers to your interests. You can disable some types of cookies and opt to stop “sharing” and “selling” your information here. You can also opt out of certain targeted advertising, sharing and sales by visiting our websites or mobile apps with a recognized universal choice signal enabled (such as the Global Privacy Control). Please note that, depending on which opt-out preference signal you use [and whether you are logged into your account with us], our processing of the signal may be limited to the specific browser or device that you are using. You may need to renew your opt-out if you use a different browser or device to access our Services. We do not knowingly “share” or “sell” personal information about consumers under the age of 16.
Changes to this Policy
We may change this policy from time to time. We will post any changes to this policy on this page. Each version of this policy is identified at the top of the page by its effective date.
Last updated: January 1, 2023